Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chicken Artichoke Pizza

I made this last weekend and it was SO good I had to make it again. Plus I had all of the ingredients for it. I want to go ahead and put a disclaimer out there that I don't come up with these recipes or specifications in my head. I usually look up 3 or 4 recipes for what I think I want to do, and maybe make some changes along the way. I never know how it's going to turn out - and I promise, if it turns out not so good, I'll still post it. I also want to stress that I DO NOT make a lot of things from scratch (in this instance, pizza dough). I would like to, but I don't have enough patience, time, and expertise for such things. I want this blog to be about relatively quick, yummy things people can make without having to do it all. So, on to the recipe:

You will need:
- Whole Foods frozen whole wheat pizza dough
- Basil pesto
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Shredded fontina cheese (this can be tough to find - a lot of grocery stores have an Italian blend of shredded cheese and that works just fine)
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 1 to 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers

Directions:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Prepare the pizza dough and shape it onto your pan or pizza stone (I defrost it in the microwave - you can leave the frozen pizza dough sitting out for about 5 hours - or you might be snazzy and make your own, or buy it fresh from a local pizzeria)
3. Brush the pizza dough lightly with olive oil and bake it on the bottom rack for about 5 minutes

i maybe like a little olive oil.

4. While the pizza dough bakes, cut the chicken breast(s) into small cubes, quarter the artichoke hearts and cut the roasted red peppers into strips
5. In a sauce pan, simmer the juice from the artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and a small amount of butter until it begins to boil
6. Cook the chicken and artichoke hearts in the sauce pan for about 4-5 minutes
7. Remove the pizza dough from the oven
8. Top the pizza dough with basil pesto sauce

i also maybe like a little pesto.

9. Sprinkle cheese(s) on top
10. Strain the juice from the chicken, artichokes and roasted red peppers and top the pizza with everything

i like the colors! feel free to add other roasted peppers to add flavor and color.

11. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for an additional 10-20 minutes. I usually wait until the cheese is browning on the edges

patience is a virtue that i do not have.

FINALLY. jeez.


It's easy, quick, and delicious. I usually pair it with a pinot grigio and TRUST me when I say the whole wheat crust is so much better than white bread crust. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment